Come for the mission, stay for the community.
Welcome to the DAO supporting Nexus Mutual, the insurance alternative for crypto and more.
We are the community of teams, working groups, stakers, cover holders and active members who support the growth of the Nexus Mutual protocol and ecosystem. The protocol is the risk marketplace where members protect each other against crypto and real world risks.
Read the Nexus Mutual Roadmap to learn about our current objectives and priorities.
Nexus Mutual DAO exists to support the decentralised development and growth of the Nexus Mutual protocol and ecosystem—because we believe risk protection is foundational in the future of finance. We operate through the voting power of our members—NXM holders who own the mutual and shape our future.
Nexus Mutual was founded by insurance expert Hugh Karp in 2018 and we launched our first product on Ethereum mainnet in May 2019 with the support of Nexus Mutual Foundation. Since then we’ve grown from a team of 2 to 14 full-time contributors and many part-time and ad-hoc contributors who work to serve our community of more than 9000 members.
How you do anything is how you do everything. We do everything to ensure the long-term sustainability of the mutual.
We pay claims. Our members have already voted to approve over $18m to those who lost funds. The Capital Pool is owned by members and we manage risks to ensure there is always enough money for claims, so members can be confident in our cover.
We’re a mutual which means we’re owned and governed by our members—and anyone can become a member. We believe that everyone should be able to find the cover they need and anyone else should be able to provide that cover.
Nexus Mutual was founded to help protect underserved communities. That has been our guiding vision since day one. Honest participation in the mutual’s governance is rewarded. Members will always own the capital, review the validity of claim requests, and vote on claim outcomes.
Our DAO Treasury funds the Operations, Marketing, Community, Research and Development, and Investment Teams.
Read the latest review and budget request to see what our teams are working on.
Paying claims is what makes Nexus Mutual the leading protection provider. To date, members have approved over $17m in claims. Here's a breakdown of Nexus Mutual's claim history.
Learn how the claims process works:
Claims Assessment | Nexus Mutual Documentation
When a loss event occurs, members who held active cover can submit a claim. Once a claim is submitted, members can stake NXM and participate as a claims assessor, who reviews the validity of a submitted claim.
See Nexus Mutual’s claim statistics:
✅ Nexus Mutual Claims
Blockchain ecosystem analytics by and for the community. Explore and share data from Ethereum, Bitcoin, Polygon, BNB Chain, Solana, Arbitrum, Avalanche, Optimism, Fantom and Gnosis Chain for free.
Being a DAO means members can participate in running the mutual by proposing changes and upgrades. It starts on the forum.
Read about DAO governance:
Nexus Mutual DAO | Nexus Mutual Documentation
People join as members of the Nexus Mutual DAO and access the benefits of membership. Nexus Mutual is a member-driven protocol and DAO. People contribute to the protocol when they buy cover, underwrite risk, build risk management businesses, assess claims, or participate in governance.
Get involved in the DAO governance process:
Nexus Mutual DAO Proposals | Nexus Mutual Documentation
A Nexus Mutual DAO Proposal (NMDP) is a proposal that can be used to submit a grant request for funding, create a new DAO team, or request a renewal and funding for an existing DAO team. These proposals are used to engage with the community, reach consensus, and distribute funding from the DAO treasury to fund projects and teams.
Want to participate/contribute to the DAO? Learn more:
Participating in Nexus Mutual DAO
The Nexus Mutual DAO is a discretionary mutual owned by members who can engage with the protocol or make contributions within the DAO.
➡️ To learn more about becoming a member of the Nexus Mutual DAO, visit read the Membership section in the docs.
➡️ To learn more about the DAO’s current objectives and priorities, review the Nexus Mutual Roadmap.
How members can participate in risk sharing:
- Get covered: Members of Nexus Mutual DAO can purchase cover for a wide range of risks, such as Protocol Cover or ETH Slashing Cover. Nexus Mutual’s product portfolio continues to expand, with teams actively building on top of Nexus Mutual V2 and seeking to expand access to cover for an array of risks, both in the digital and physical realms. Buy cover in the Nexus Mutual UI.
- Stake/assess risk: Members of the Nexus Mutual DAO can collectively or individually evaluate risk and establish parameters for the cover products provided by the mutual. They can choose from a range of options, including launching a public staking pool, supporting staking pools established by risk experts, or creating a private staking pool. To learn more about staking in Nexus Mutual V2, read the Staking section in the docs.
- Assess claims: In the event of a loss, members who have active cover can submit a claim request. Once a claim is submitted, other members are responsible for reviewing the validity of the submitted claim and voting on the claim outcome. To learn more about the claim assessment process, read the Claim Assessment section in the docs.
- Take part in the Nexus Mutual governance forum discussions: Nexus Mutual is a decentralised protocol governed by its members. Members have the power to propose and vote on changes to the protocol, shaping its future operations. They also play a crucial role in deciding how the DAO treasury funds are allocated and spent. These funds are commonly utilised to support DAO teams, grants for enhancing awareness, education, technical infrastructure, and overall capabilities. To learn more about protocol and DAO governance, read the Governance section in the docs.
How anyone can contribute to the running of the DAO:
- Propose to join a DAO team and bring your skills and experience to one of our established teams.
- Propose and request funding to lead a one-off project to grow the mutual and sales.
- Propose and request funding to lead a new DAO team to achieve our current goals.
Do you have further ideas? 💡 Reach out to our Community team on the Nexus Mutual Discord server.
You can verify the information on this website and learn more about the mutual through the resources below.
Become a member and buy cover on the ↗️ Nexus Mutual UI
Read about how the mechanics of the mutual work in the ↗️ Nexus Mutual Docs
See governance proposals on the ↗️ Nexus Mutual Governance Forum
See DAO governance votes on the ↗️ Nexus Mutual DAO Treasury Snapshot
See protocol governance votes on the ↗️ Nexus Mutual UI
Check out on-chain stats on the ↗️ Nexus Mutual Dune Dashboards
Stay in touch with ↗️ Nexus Mutual DAO Monthly Updates
Chat with our community in the ↗️ Nexus Mutual Discord.
Watch our videos and community calls on the ↗️ Nexus Mutual You Tube Channel
Interested in the future of risk sharing?
Stay in the loop with the DAO’s weekly updates.